[ Visit the New Website to see current design work and to reach Chon for services. ]

Design With Chon (DWC) – a boutique design studio with defined niches in (1) visual communication, (2) event design and (3) interiors. Each of these industries are huge in themselves, but DWC’s goal is to achieve good design in all its various forms, whether it’s from the branding of your business to saying “I do” to transforming interiors. Let me, “Chon," be your personal design consultant + stylist for your business, wedding or home. A balanced environment makes you feel good, and I am here to inspire your surroundings.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Living Room – Floating Shelves

Once again, I have been doing some new additions to my home, and thought I would update you all on my latest projects. It's been awhile since I have had posts on interior decor.

One of the biggest changes that has occurred is in my living room. Since I have added these free floating shelves from IKEA, the space physically feels transformed which is sort of weird since that is the only change. Every time I sit on my couch and look up, the environment just feels different, but a good different. I have been wanting to add book shelves to my living space for awhile now. I wanted to take advantage of our high walls and create drama with staggered shelving in two different sizes. Originally, I was planning to use all the same widths for the shelves, perfectly stacked up to the ceiling. But when I saw the the 74" extra long shelf, I wanted to deconstruct the uniformity, and we had tons of space to do so.

Living Room – Before:

Living Room – After:
I am still working on the arrangement of my artsy books, vases and random art on my shelving space. It's a work in progress as I collect things over time that I cherish and choose for display. One thing my husband harasses me about is a cool clock. And that's my next post – vintage, retro clocks that have character.

The IKEA floating shelves range from $19.99 to $29.99. Really affordable compared to floating shelves from Room & Board or West Elm. I did my research before I bought these ones. Also, if you plan on installing these yourself and plan on putting tons of weight on them such as books like mine, your best friend will be "butterfly wall anchors". It's a must! Or your shelves will come crashing down at any moment. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Hi ,

    Where did you get the 74 inches long floating shelf , I am been trying to find with no luck

    -Raghav

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Raghav

    All the shelves including the longest one is from Ikea. They come in several veneer wood tones. It's a pretty standard product at Ikea that it should be available for awhile. Be sure to mount it with anchors/strong reinforcement so they are totally perpendicular to the wall. Hope that helps!

    - Chon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks , Your design looks wonderful , i am trying to do something very similar , thanks
    for the information

    -Raghav

    ReplyDelete