[ Visit the New Website to see current design work and to reach Chon for services. ]

Design With Chon (DWC) – a boutique design studio with defined niches in (1) visual communication, (2) event design and (3) interiors. Each of these industries are huge in themselves, but DWC’s goal is to achieve good design in all its various forms, whether it’s from the branding of your business to saying “I do” to transforming interiors. Let me, “Chon," be your personal design consultant + stylist for your business, wedding or home. A balanced environment makes you feel good, and I am here to inspire your surroundings.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Design w/Chon: Pure Dental Spa Identity System

This project here is very near and dear to me. First of all, my client has supported my work for a long while and when it was time for her to open her very first dental office, without hesitation, she came to me. This has been one of my greatest project that I have taken on since it utilizes all of my design assets, and I got to control the quality of the work across all design mediums – print to web to the interior decor.

I want to thank her, and I hope she is happy with the end product as much as I am. There will be a few more posts on this client. I just wanted to share these initial projects. We are currently finishing up the interior decor, and her office doors will be officially opening June 8th in the Bloomingdale, Illinois area. Also, I will be sharing her "new client promotions" too if any of you are looking for a new dentist. Trust me, you'll want to go visit this dental office.

This particular project began back in January of this year, and it started with the name. I worked with her in refining her business name. She didn't want the typical dental name incorporating the word "smiles" like everyone else. Something clean, simple, and reflects the nature of the business. We went back and forth several times and one word kept on sticking, and it wasn't taken. It was the word "pure", and it sounded really nice with the word "dental". "Pure" represents cleanliness, and that's why we go to the dentist – to keep our teeth/mouth as clean as possible. Then the word "spa" was thrown into the name, because this new office was going to embody spa-like services. There is this new trend called "dental spa" where dental offices want their offices to now be soothing and comforting for their client visits. And we all know, dental offices aren't at the top of anyone's list for places to go visit.

With the name down, Pure Dental Spa, it was time to develop the identity. As soon as the name was selected, I had a good idea on how it was going to look, and the client was totally one the same page with me; it was great. The fact that I knew I was going to be working on the interior decor of her office, it helped me build her brand colors since she really wanted an avocado-like green color on her office wall. I envisioned in my mind seeing the word "pure" all in white against the green wall, and it truly brought out the essence of clean in the word and the nature of the business.

Interior Office Signage
Pure Dental Spa color palette: white, grey & green. White is pure and clean. Grey represents a brushed aluminum material and the sterilized equipment that is used to clean our teeth. And green is fresh, calming, and it is all "spa".

For the logo identity, I used a very clean, modern typeface, Helvetica Neue, and balanced the weights and the kerning between the letters. "Pure" is the boldest and "dental" is the second heaviest weight. Those two words have the most emphasis in weights, because they are the most important. "Spa" is secondary, but still important to the overall vision.

For the business/appointment cards, I knew we had to print them with a very cool technique called blind embossing – where an image is raised up from the flat surface of the paper. This was how I was able to keep the word "pure" white on white paper. And on the reverse-side, the paper was flooded with green, and where the word "pure" was embossed, it was kept white also. These are some well-designed appointment cards I must say.

Business & Appointment Card


Originally, I wasn't planning on designing her website since I am not a huge fan of website design. I always felt it was one of my weaknesses. I thought I was going to be handing over logo files, color codes and some images. But after we saw the first round from the programmers, I knew I had to get my feet wet and guide the overall structure, because it wasn't meshing with her brand essence, and I couldn't let that happen. After it was all said and done, I was surprisingly happy with the end product and so was the client. This is only a teaser still image of the website that I have designed. It's not live and running yet. The programmer is currently working on it to get it to match my design template.

Website Homepage
{Identity System, Signage & Website designed by Chon}


Stay tuned everyone... there is still more to come on this client, and I am looking forward to seeing the final product. A lot of time has been dedicated to these projects, and it's nice to see them getting done and finished to perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment