[ Visit the New Website to see current design work and to reach Chon for services. ]

Design With Chon (DWC) – a boutique design studio with defined niches in (1) visual communication, (2) event design and (3) interiors. Each of these industries are huge in themselves, but DWC’s goal is to achieve good design in all its various forms, whether it’s from the branding of your business to saying “I do” to transforming interiors. Let me, “Chon," be your personal design consultant + stylist for your business, wedding or home. A balanced environment makes you feel good, and I am here to inspire your surroundings.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Did my Living Room just say Grrrrrrr?!

Look at the progressions of these pictures and see the dramatic change and shift in style.

Previous owners – living space:
Our home – just moved in living space:
And our home today!
Yep. Our new area rug in our living room makes a grand statement now. :) In a previous post, I said I had a secret obsession, and it is out and loud as you can see – animal print (in neutral tones only); specifically called "El Tigre" print from Flor.com. I finally committed to the crazy and fun print for my living space and loving it. I was surprised too when my husband was digging it also.

Originally for our living space, I was thinking of keeping it soft, calm, and with cool tones of blue & green like water to reflect a "day spa" atmosphere, but things have evolved in my taste and style. My personality is more eclectic, fun and unique that I felt this space had to do the same. I wanted some boldness that makes you remember the decor, and this area rug fit the bill. ;)

With such a bold area rug, you do have to be careful with the decor surrounding it. You don't want to clash with the design, but balance it, and enhance it. For my space, I wanted to mix patterns to give it that eclectic, unique feel that isn't so cookie cutter, and I did it with my accent pillows. The dominant focus is the rug, and the secondary focus are the pillows on the couch. The patterned light-blue pillow is a subtle pattern that gives visual texture. However, I didn't really go overboard with too many patterns. Those two patterns are essentially it. I balanced the rest of the living space out with solid tones of my main accent color, the turquoise blue, neutral shades of furniture, and hints of white throughout the space to brighten it and give it a clean, fresh look.

You see that really white side chair, that's my new fave piece in our living space. It's a pretty good knock-off of the designer, Charles Eames, bucket chairs. I got two of those chairs from Overstock.com for a darn good price with $2.95 shipping – can't beat that. Also, it's very kid-friendly, wipeable surface. ;)

My last design tip for the night to everyone is to have fun with your living space. Make it something you want to come home to everyday since you do spend most of your life in it. Don't be afraid of color and patterns; it will make your space so much more lively. And if you're still unsure and need some expert advice, I am only a click away. Email me at designwithchon{at}gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment