[ Visit the New Website to see current design work and to reach Chon for services. ]

Design With Chon (DWC) – a boutique design studio with defined niches in (1) visual communication, (2) event design and (3) interiors. Each of these industries are huge in themselves, but DWC’s goal is to achieve good design in all its various forms, whether it’s from the branding of your business to saying “I do” to transforming interiors. Let me, “Chon," be your personal design consultant + stylist for your business, wedding or home. A balanced environment makes you feel good, and I am here to inspire your surroundings.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Fresh Look on Moulding + Trim

As I am nearing the end in selecting finishing details for my basement, I wanted to try some new design techniques such as painting moulding + trim in a different color. This is nothing new, and it's been around for some time now, but how do we keep it fresh + interesting for today's modern homes. Most new homes that are built by the abundance have white painted trim + moulding, because it brightens up the interior space, and everyone seems to like and accept that bright white shade.

Don't get me wrong, I love the white graphic statement along the edges in my home. Currently, my whole house has the white trim + moulding, however for our basement, I wanted to switch it up. I chose to have it painted a light grey so it blends with the textural, grey wallpaper that I have chosen for the main living + office space. I wanted to keep the eye moving from floor to ceiling without any "white" outlines on the wall. You can see the newly painted trim in the image directly below. The shot features my Art Studio pocket poor with frosted glass, closet door, trim, and they are all painted in the same light grey shade. Wallpaper is not yet in place. It's going up in the next few days. :)

My Basement

Here are a few other great examples of painted moulding where the trim, wall and doors all blend together. They both convey a very clean, minimal look without visual interruption from one plane to the other.



Now if you're looking to make a visual statement through paint, pick a color of paint that contrasts your wall color.  Your trim + moulding color can be subtle or as intense as the vibrant wallpaper pattern seen below in blue. I do love the graphic black painted trim with the pure white walls.




Painting is very easy on the renovating budget especially if you want to switch up the look of your interior space without investing in whole new furniture and cabinets. If you don't want to paint trim, how about your doors. See black door example; it's a great, bold touch. A simple coat of paint does the job and can certainly freshen up any space.



No comments:

Post a Comment