[ Visit the New Website to see current design work and to reach Chon for services. ]

Design With Chon (DWC) – a boutique design studio with defined niches in (1) visual communication, (2) event design and (3) interiors. Each of these industries are huge in themselves, but DWC’s goal is to achieve good design in all its various forms, whether it’s from the branding of your business to saying “I do” to transforming interiors. Let me, “Chon," be your personal design consultant + stylist for your business, wedding or home. A balanced environment makes you feel good, and I am here to inspire your surroundings.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

DWC Project: Basement Renovations!

One of my biggest projects this year is finishing the basement to our townhome. We waited over 2 years to do this since we bought the home and got married back in 2009. And now it's crunch time, because June is fast approaching, and we need to get it done this 2011 summer! My husband has been anticipating this process forever, and I have been putting it on the back burner of my to do list. But today, I finally get to share it with you all. These ideas have been brewing in my head for over a year now, and it's at a point where I am quite happy with it while maintaining my eclectic aesthetic and combining old + new elements to make it timeless. I don't like to follow defined trends since they pass on, but I do embrace elements and integrate it into the bigger picture.

For our basement, there are 4 main functional zones that we needed: (1) a living + lounge area to watch tv for 6-8 individuals, (2) office for 3 computer stations + filing storage, (3) my very own art studio for client projects + crafts, and (4) a utility/storage room. I think the layout is decently spacious while accommodating a lot of activity in each area.


The largest room is the open floorplan of the Living/Office space. Technically, my husband would like to claim this whole domain as his, but I wasn't going to let that happen. However, I did design the basement to be very masculine in tone and in the style of furniture.

In selecting the colors + textures of the room, I was inspired by one of his many suits that he wears. His favorite combination is grey, blue and white, and you can see where those exact hues are incorporated into the moodboard. To add levels of interest and elevate the "chic" factor, I mixed up the materials with highly polished silver metals, grasscloth wallpaper, and a mix of textiles. If you notice, one of the throw pillow patterns is the Chevron zig-zag design that reflects the branding pattern that I use in my business. Also, my brand colors include navy blue and grey, too. This Living/Office space is definitely the perfect balance for my husband and I.
 
 Living/Office Space: Option 1 - Grey Sofa
 
 Living/Office Space: Option 2 - Blue Sofa

For furniture, we needed tons of seating for a somewhat confined space. And what's the best sofa to do this — an L-section arrangement. On the opposite side of the sofa, I am including a pair of manly, over-sized, leather club chairs, and a grey poof ottoman that offers another seating choice. The mounted flat panel tv will face the sofa along with two built-in bookshelves. The shelves are white with navy blue painted interior backdrops, and they will flank both sides of the tv. On the shelves, I will showcase art, books and basket units to help with storage, too. Directly behind the sofa is the office area with a built-in L-desk unit in a walnut stained finish. If you look at the floorplan, there is another built-in unit with 2 filing cabinet units below and more shelves for storage directly above. Throughout the space, there will be recessed lighting to light up the room and three contemporary clear glass pendant lights suspended over the office built-in desk.

As you can see above, there are two moodboards — two different sofa colors for the Living/Office space. Either shade can work for this space, and I do love them both. Should I go bold with the Navy Blue sofa or be more subtle with the Grey?? I have already made my decision, but do you think you know which color that I am moving forward with? What would "Chon" do for the "Hip, Moody Blue + Grey" basement? :)

 Art Studio Room
{Interior Moodboards designed by Chon}

And last but not least is my personal Art Studio room in which I am sooo desperately in need of right now. Currently, my dining room is filled with projects for a client wedding. Thank goodness we don't eat in there too often or my husband would have a tiff about it. For this room, I wanted to keep it generally neutral with white and beige tones, but then offset with a pop of color and fun. I loved this area rug from FLOR, because it reminded me of the Missoni brand, and its use of textiles in fashion. Besides having a lot of energy and movement, I liked its playfulness for my art room. To contrast the edginess of the rug and bright red side chair, I wanted a rustic, craft feel since it is a work studio. For the floors, I am going with a white-washed distressed wood finish in a laminate material which will be good for the basement in case there is ever water damage, and it will be highly resilient for my laborious projects. For the main light fixture, it's an over-sized barn-like pendant lamp that suspends over the main work table with two cast-iron stools underneath. I can't wait to work in this space!

Any questions about my designs or where I source my finds, just ask. I love questions. Don't forget to suggest which sofa color that you prefer, and what you think I will end up choosing. Happy Thursday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment